The mission of BAYarts is to provide a welcoming lakeside environment to stimulate, encourage and support professional and aspiring artists of all ages through collaboration, education and exhibition.
Founded in 1948 by local artists seeking community, “Baycrafters” was known for quality art education and creative events.
Beginning in 2005, a volunteer-driven revitalization campaign led to the renovation of the historical campus buildings and grounds and new construction over 8 years. In 2006 the name was changed to BAYarts to reflect the fresh programming and revitalized organization. With over 65,000 visitors each year, BAYarts has become a premier west side cultural destination.
BAYarts is in the Huntington Reservation in Cleveland Metroparks, located in Bay Village near the border of Cuyahoga and Lorain Counties. The BAYarts campus includes the John Huntington House, the Irene Lawrence Fuller House, The Station House leased by Vento Trattoria and a historic caboose. Until 1927 when the land was purchased by the Cleveland Metroparks Department, the Huntington Reservation was the summer estate of John Huntington, inventor, industrialist and key founder of the Cleveland Art Museum. BAYarts campus is within walking distance of Lake Erie Nature & Science Center, a frequent collaborator, and Huntington Beach. Nearly one million visitors enjoy the Lake Erie shore and the beauty of its natural areas and park settings annually. You can see a read about the BAYarts campus on Cleveland.com, in their Cool Spaces series.
The Fuller House
The 124 year old Irene Lawrence Fuller House was once located approximately 2 miles from its current location on BAYarts campus. It is notorious for its connection to the famous doctor Sam Sheppard, where he was arrested while visiting his vacationing parents. In 1984, it was saved from destruction and donated to this organization, making international news when it was floated via barge on Lake Erie to its current location. A major renovation in 2010 resulted in the beautiful community hub, gallery and classrooms it is now.
The Huntington House
This classic bungalow style house was once home to the John Huntington estate's caretaker. In 1927 the Cleveland Metropolitan Parks Department purchased the Huntington family's country estate (now known as the Hungtington Reservation and Beach) to be used as a place of rest and relaxation. BAYarts adopted it in 1969. It now serves as offices, classrooms and a shop.
A gift from The Norfolk & Western Railroad Company, this treasured community landmark has become a favorite subject for artists. It opens up for guests, and as of Fall 2015 has aquired new outside lights.
Karen Ryel Center for Ceramics Art and Education
Karen Ryel Center for Ceramic Arts and Education is new as of 2015, and was gifted by the Colleran Family. Features of the 2,500 square-foot studio are high ceilings with ample light and storage space.
Purchased for one dollar and moved to the campus in the 60’s, the former train depot is home to Vento, a sophisticated yet casual trattoria with it open air patio and great wine selection. For hours and menu www.ventotrattoria.com
For more history and photos of these historic landmarks, please stop in and browse our extensive materials.
Created and maintained with help from BAYarts volunteers, Maple Leaf Landscaping and The Rock Pile.
Within Walking Distance:
BAYarts neighbor and frequent collaborator attracts over 200,000 visitors per year from our surrounding Greater Cleveland communities. Admission is free.
In 2011, the expansive beach was Blue Wave certified by the Clean Beaches Council. Features walking trails, benches, breaker walls for fishing, and a concession stand that operates in a historic water tower.