The BAYarts Campus

ba panorama tilt shift 600.jpg

BAYarts makes its home in the Huntington  Reservation, the western-most member of the Cleveland Metroparks, located in Bay Village near the border of Cuyahoga and Lorain Counties. The BAYarts campus includes the BAYarts Gallery House, the Irene Fuller House, Vento Trattoria and the Red Caboose. Until 1927 when the land was purchased by the Cleveland Metroparks Department, the Huntington Reservation was the summer estate of John Huntington, inventor, industrialist and key founder of the Cleveland Art Museum. BAYarts campus is within walking distance of three other "gems" in the Metroparks' "Emerald Necklace" - Lake Erie Nature & Science Center, the Huntington Playhouse and Huntington Beach. Nearly one million visitors enjoy the Lake Erie shore and the beauty of its natural areas and park settings annually.

Click the Image Below for a Short BAYarts Video

BAYartsCampusVideo.jpg

The Irene Lawrence Fuller House

fuller house-NEW 600.jpg

 

The long magical journey of the Irene Lawrence Fuller House began in 1984 when a charming house floated westward down Lake Erie…just a couple miles… it was the easy route…taking her stories along…the stories of generations of families…dinners in the kitchen…gatherings in the sitting room…laughter upstairs and weddings on the porch…and years later the arrest of the famous doctor Sam Sheppard while he was visiting his parents at their summer retreat. The media came from near and far as it floated…with hardly a scratch… to its present home at BAYarts campus.  Beginning spring 2010, the long-awaited restoration began, thanks to a generous grant from The Ohio Cultural Facilities Commission with additional funds from The Cleveland Metroparks,  Mapleleaf Landscaping, local businesses and friends of BAYarts. After a two year renovation, the Fuller House is now the hub of BAYarts activity: gallery shows, classes, concerts, Mojo’s Coffees and events.  Stop in to learn more about the history and future of this historic building.

For information on Fuller House Rentals: specialevents@bayarts.net

The BAYarts House & John Huntington Estate

Located in the BAYarts House, formerly Baycrafters, is the original main gallery, teaching classrooms, pottery studio and administration offices. By 1968, Baycrafters had outgrown the space in the Bay Village Railway Station and the Cleveland Metroparks Huntington Reservation made the classic bungalow style house next-door available for lease.

campus love this too.JPG

The BAYarts Gallery House occupies what was once the John Huntington estate caretaker's house. The home is said to have been built after his death in 1893 although the exact date has not been determined. John Huntington purchased the property for his lakeside summer home in 1880 from Adolphus Gender who had farmed the tract as early as 1859.

John Huntington, inventor, capitalist and cofounder of the Standard Oil Company emigrated from Preston Lancashire England to Cleveland in 1852. History shows John joined his brother Hugh to start a roofing business and was very successful working in the large city expansion at the time. The brothers roofed one of John D. Rockefeller's oil refinery buildings and when they were offered payment in oil refinery stock, John and Hugh took part payment in cash and part in stock. Through Huntington's new interest in the oil refining business and his endeavor to improve the methods used in the oil refining process, he patented many improvements for furnaces, machinery and manufacturing.

His company became the greatest refining establishment in the U.S. and with his friend John Rockefeller and other investors, formed the Standard Oil Company. John's far looking and adventurous spirit allowed him to acquire considerable wealth. As a business leader, he was elected a member of the Cleveland City Council and served for twelve years. Continuing his interest in the emerging city, he was instrumental in building the Superior Street viaduct, dredging the Cuyahoga River for shipping, building new bridges to accommodate river commerce and establishing a sanitary sewer system for the expanding city.

Four years before his death in London in 1893, he established the John Huntington Benevolent Trust. Huntington's wish was for the establishment of the John Huntington Polytechnic Institute for the free education of the people of Cleveland and for the foundation of a museum. The magnificent Cleveland Museum of Art opened June 6, 1916 and visitors were able to view the John Huntington fine art collections.  In 1927, The Cleveland Metropolitan Parks Department bought the Huntington family's country estate in Bay Village to provide Cleveland residents with public access to the Lake Erie Shore.

The Red Caboose

campus caboose misc boringA gift from The Norfolk & Western Railroad Company, the caboose was the first building to be added to the campus. In 2007 a local scout troop renovated it to its original glory. Originally used as a print shop and office, today it is a treasured community landmark.  Children and adults enjoy the caboose and it has become a favorite subject for artists alike.

dot line.jpg

Within Walking Distance of our Campus

Mojo's

mojos.jpgMojo's at BAYarts is the answer to your request for a good cuppa joe while the kids are at class, on your way to work or just sittin on the porch enjoyin the view! Besides coffee, Mojo's has frappes, smoothies, cold drinks and fresh bakery. A welcome addtion to our campus, located in the newly renovated Fuller House. Thank you Tracy and company!

Vento La Trattoria

vento.jpgNestled between the Metropark and beautiful Lake Erie, in between the Huntington Playhouse and BAYarts is Vento, a sophisticated, sensual, yet casual dining experience for the many and visitors who travel Lake Avenue. Enjoy the charm of our antique train station house, or eat and drink in our open air patios - open daily for lunch and dinner.

Lake Erie Nature & Science Center

lescience.jpgLake Erie Nature & Science Center, incorporated in 1950 by Dr. Fleming is a non-profit organization connecting people of all ages to nature in order to motivate natural curiosities and creative abilities, encourage an understanding of cultural diversity, and instill civic responsibilities by developing a desire to conserve our natural resources. Today, Lake Erie Nature & Science Center attracts over 190,000 visitors per year from our surrounding Greater Cleveland and Greater Lorain communities, all 50 states and 13 countries to its 22,500 square foot facility. The number of programs offered per year has increased exponentially from 100 in 1987 to over 2,300 programs, involving more than 50,000 participants today. Free admission seven days a week.

Huntington Playhouse

huntlogo.jpgThe Huntington Playhouse, located in the Huntington Metroparks Reservation, is home to children and adult live theater, staging dozens of shows each year and many Greater Cleveland area premieres, including 1776, Jesus Christ Superstar, Pippin, Sweeney Todd, The Secret Garden and Forever Plaid. All the talent is volunteer, with behind the scenes crews providing handmade props and set building. Log on for this years schedule and ticket information.